This is a quote from Aslak Hellesoy on the Cukes Google group.
“Even on this list, the majority of people seem to think that Cucumber == Automated Tests == BDD, which is WRONG.
What people need to understand is:
- Cucumber is a tool for BDD
- Cucumber is a tool for Specification By Example
- Specification By Example is just a better name for BDD
- Specification By Example / BDD means examples (Scenarios) are written *before* implementation
- Specification By Example should happen iteratively, in collaboration with non-technical stakeholders
- Automated Tests are a by-product of Specification By Example
- Writing Automated Tests does *not* imply you’re doing Specification By Example
- Using Cucumber for Automated Tests without doing Specification By Example is stupid
- Cucumber is not a tool for Automated Testing, it’s a tool for Collaborative, Executable Specifications”
Aslak Hellesoy – 12th December 2013
Cukes Google Group